Monday, March 10, 2008

A Cold Goodbye

According to ESPN, the last professional sporting event ever to be played at Yankee Stadium might be an NHL hockey game featuring the New York Rangers. This intrigues me for a couple of reasons.

As a Ranger fan, I would love to see my team play an outdoors game. Watching this year's "Outdoor Classic" between the Sabers and Penguins made me think that the NHL should definitely play more games outdoors. It could possibly bring in more fans, and if not, it still looks really cool on TV from my warm house.

The second reason I would love to see this happen is because it would mean the last game at Yankee Stadium won't even be a Yankee game. That pleases me.

As another poster on this site likes to say, "what do you think?"

1 comment:

waldinho said...

I think it would be awesome if it were an Islander -- Ranger game and it went to a shootout.

And it would be even better if the last shooter, Mike Comrie (the Rangers would of course opt to shoot first), with the shootout tied at nil, deked Henrik Lundqvist out so bad that he decided to retire from the NHL and go back to Sweden where that Scandanavian scallywag belongs!

I do agree with you, though, that it would be amazing if the last game at Yankee Stadium weren't a Yankee game, unless the Yankees reached the World Series, only to lose the deciding 7th game at Yankee Stadium (let's go American League in the All-Star Game!)

-wal