Thursday, April 30, 2009

On serious note, Fire Jerry?

Okay, so my last post might have been a bit over the top, but I still stand by it 103%  Though as I read various blogs and articles today it seems as though I am not the only one questioning our unproven leaders abilities.  I am going to go out on a leg here and say that there is very good chance the Manuel will not make it through the year.  I have absolutely no idea who you would replace him with, but I do think come September if things don't considerably pick up, Omar is going to pull the rip cord.  

If he does, maybe this time we can pick a manager that likes to use these things called "statistics" and "logic."



Who am I kidding.

4 comments:

Russ said...

Whether it's the right move or not, I don't think Jerry would be the only one fired if the Mets don't make the playoffs this year - I think Omar will go too.

zweb said...

This is a fair point. Although some of the concerns of last year were addressed, it seems that there are still problems with the Mets current roster and dare I say farm system at large.

Russ said...

Actually, an interesting point was brought up during Joe Beningo and Evan Roberts - that Minaya does a good job at addressing the "obvious" needs of the team - they needed an ace, he got Santana. They needed a bullpen revamp, he got Putz and Rodriguez. What he doesn't do is look beyond that and say "What else would this team need to succeed that might not be obvious?", like a power bat or something.

waldinho said...

I would say that this off-season what the team needed was starting pitching depth. I love John Maine but he was (and unfortunately still is) obviously a question-mark.

Re-signing Oliver Perez was an incredibly stupid move. If they had let him walk and signed Derek Lowe instead, they would have had a better pitcher and picked up an extra first round draft pick (lost the comp 1st-rounder pick for Lowe, but picked up a comp and sandwich pick for Perez).

I don't think Minaya's problem hasn't been his inability to anticipate other needs at all, actually. Some of the players he's picked up that worked out well that Mets fans did not think they'd needed:

Nady, Perez, Church, Bradford, Chavez

These guys were signed or traded for with almost no fanfare and ended up having significant roles on the team.

On the contrary, I think Minaya's problem has been his tendency to overlook obvious problems in favour of making the big deal. I would say the 2008 bullpen was a pretty obvious concern, but he concentrated solely on Sanatana. As I said before, the team had no starting pitching depth in 2009, yet all he went after was relief pitching.